APA NY’s 1st Annual Juried Gallery Exhibition - Submit your very best work!
The Odds are in your favor to be showcased and win cash awards up to $1000!
APA NY invites all APA Members, (and those photographers who would like to be members) to participate in its very first juried, open photography competition and exhibition at the renowned Soho Photo Gallery.
• This one-week, open-gallery event, to be held December 6-11, 2022, will give each artist a chance to promote their work. And to assist, we will be inviting art buyers and editors from all around the New York area.
• APA members' selected work will be featured on the gallery walls at this special event. A promotion effort has been created for this event that includes: a feature on the APA website, social media, advertising, a catalog, and gala opening night.
About the competition Juror: Elizabeth Avedon
We are honored to have Elizabeth Avedon as the juror for our show. Elizabeth is a photography book and exhibition designer, independent curator, and writer. She is a sought-after consultant for photographers; editing, sequencing, and advising towards their exhibition, book, and portfolio projects. She serves as faculty for the Masters in Digital Photography department at the School of Visual Arts in New York. Read more about Elizabeth here.
The competition is open to all members of APA, regardless of chapter. If you are not yet a member of APA, if you join now at any Level, your annual membership fee will include a 1 FREE entry into the single image competition. With your new membership you will be joining our community of photographers and the education, inclusion and inspiration that comes with it. Get more information about joining here.
Competition submission requirements:
Please read contest terms and follow these guidelines carefully to ensure proper submission of your entries.
The competition is open only to current Members of APA in good standing. You can join at any level to enter the contest
You can upload as many images as you would like during the process to either or both categories.
All files must be JPG, no smaller than 1200 pixels on the longest side, and at most 1800 pixels, 72 PPI, sRGB color profile,
Image files should have a unique file name (not your name) for the single image submission. For Series images, files should have a unique file name (not your name) Series 1of1 or series submissions 1of5; ie (aoweu1837_1of1) or (abcd123_1of4) all submissions (single or series) MUST be submitted in a containing folder bearing your Full Name. Names will be stripped before being submitted to Elizabeth Avedon for "blind" judging.
Once you have submitted, your submission is final, and you will not be able to edit your images.
All types of photography are eligible for entry, regardless of subject matter or photographic technique. And you may enter individual images or a series.
The upload link will be sent to you after you have completed the image/series entrance fee process.
1 image: $25.
2-5 images from a narrative or thematic series: $50
ENTER HERE NOW
Check out these PRIZES!:
There will be awards for First, Second, and Third Place, in both the single image and series images categories. Those prizes will be $1000 for First Place, $500 for Second Place, and $250 for Third Place in each category. APA will also be handing out several Honorable Mentions awards.
The Chosen Photographs:
PLEASE READ this email all the way through to the end; it contains all the details you will need to exhibit in our show (which is now your show too!), but if including options for those of you who do not print and mat your own work, and those of you who live out of town.
• DELIVERY DEADLINE: You will need to deliver your completed piece(s) to the gallery either on December 4 from 11AM-6PM, or December 5, between 9AM - 12NOON. No later. This is a hard deadline. If your work does not arrive by the deadline of 12NOON on DECEMBER 5 it cannot be hung in the show.
• Note: By 'completed piece’ we mean your work printed, matted, framed and wired for hanging. The gallery has a specific hanging system so all work needs to be wired to hang.
• In Town vs Out of Town: Because this was open to APA members nation-wide, there are some of you in the show who are from out of town. If you are out of town, we will do our best to help facilitate you delivering your completed piece to the gallery on-time.
For those out of town, you have the option of shipping your completed piece to the gallery, to be received by December 1. OR, you could use Scott Farrell as your printer (see below), and for an added fee we can pop your matted piece in a ready made from for you. But, you will need to arrange with us in advance for that. We will be sending all out-of-towners an email with more specific information about this.
For those in town: You will need to come in to the gallery in-person, (or arrange for a friend to come in), on December 4 between 11AM - 6PM, or December 5 between 9AM and 12NOON to drop off. We cannot emphasize enough that this deadline cannot be missed. If you miss this deadline you will not be able to be included in the show.
• Size Requirements for work:
• If you are in the SINGLE IMAGE category, the maximum size of your framed piece can be 18”x24” framed.
• If you are in the SERIES category, the maximum size of your frame piece can be 16”x20”, framed.
• PRINTING & MATTING SERVICES: If you do not print your own work, and don’t have a specific printer you use, we have a suggestion: Scott Farrell. Scott is a member of Soho Photo Gallery; he is a photographer and printer (and mat cutter as well). He does great work and is reasonably priced, and because he is a photographer, he speaks our language and will work with you.
You can reach Scott at: email@example.com. Below, at bottom, are Scott’s options and prices. The deadline for Scott’s services: For Scott to be able to print and mat your work in time, you will need to send him your files and instructions BEFORE November 14.
• Important Dates:
November 14: If you are using Scott Farrell’s printing & matting services, this is your deadline for sending him your files and instructions.
December 4 & 5: Drop-off Days: Work delivered to the gallery on Sunday, December 4, between 11AM - 6PM, or on Monday, December 5 between 9AM and 12NOON. No later.
December 6: The Opening Night Reception from 6PM - 8:30PM
December 7th-10th: Each day at the gallery, outside regular gallery hours, we will have a variety of events at the gallery; talks and workshops. Stay tuned for details on that.
December 11: The show closes at 6PM. You can pick up your work either when the show closes at 6PM, or the following morning, December 12, between 9AM and 12NOON.
• If you do not arrange for pickup of your work at the end, you can choose to have it destroyed or donated. You will need to let us know in advance which you choose.
• PUBLICIZING THE SHOW: As we get closer to the show, we will be sending you a digital postcard that you can use to invite your friends, family and clients to the show (especially the Opening Night Reception), as well as to post on social media. We hope you will all help us spread the word.
• We’ll Need More Info: As we get closer to the show, we will be contacting you for more information, for the information for the pricing labels that will hang next to your work, and brief bios. We will also have more info for you. Keep an eye out for these emails and when you get them, please respond as soon as possible.
•••PLEASE CONFIRM YOU RECEIVED THIS: Please reply to this email to let us know you received it. Thanks!
•FYI: Soho Photo Gallery is at 15 White Street, New York, NY 10013 (that’s in Tribeca!)
• As always, if you have any questions, please just ask us, Travis or Debbie, at the APA-NY chapter. For questions, please just email us at Director@apany.com ***Please note: Please do NOT contact APA National or your local chapter with questions; this event is produced by APA-NY, so your local chapter cannot answer any questions about it.
Commission and Insurance:
You can price your work at whatever amount you choose. Your work does not have to be for sale, but if it is, we will facilitate those sales during show hours. There will be no commission on the sale of any prints (APA will only deduct transaction fees from the sale).
Although we will make reasonable efforts to protect your work while it is in our possession, we are not legally responsible for it. Consider insuring your work for the time it is in the gallery.
If you have any questions, please contact Deborah Gilbert at Director@apany.com
• Deadline for submissions: We've extended the deadline to September 14, 2022
• Notification: October 5, 2022
• Accepted Work Due At the Gallery: December 5, 2022
• Exhibition: December 6 - 11, 2022
• Opening Reception: December 6, 2022
APA’s mission is to advocate, educate and elevate the professional photographic community.
American Photographic Artists (APA) is an organization dedicated to the success of professional photographers. Our organization’s foundation is built upon creating a diverse and inclusive photographic community that supports all photographers at every level in their careers and champions the rights of image-makers worldwide. To achieve our mission, our goals are to establish, endorse, and promote professional practices, standards, and ethics in the photographic community; to mentor, motivate, educate and inspire in the pursuit of excellence. APA strives to provide the tools and connections that photographers need to run a successful business. APA New York is the Northeast regional chapter of American Photographic Artists (APA) which also includes Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.